In order to be an informed consumer of adult medical day services, it is important to understand the rules under which these programs operate and the standards to which they are held accountable.
This section includes information on specific sections from the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) that apply to Adult Medical Day Centers in Maryland, all of which must be licensed by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The portions of the regulations of greatest interest to participants are identified below:
- COMAR 10.12.04.08 Administration: This section identifies basic requirements that all centers must meet to operate, including required policies, procedures and goals.
- COMAR 10.12.04.14 Program Components-Required Services and 10.12.04.15 Program Components: This section specifies the types of service all adult day centers must provide. These include nursing services, nutrition services, transportation, activities programs, assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), exercise and rest and counseling. Optional services are also identified. It further details the types of assessments that are required, the need for an interdisciplinary care plan and procedures to follow regarding attendance.
- COMAR 10.12.04.18 Health Regulations: This section mandates the content and frequency of physical assessments, how medical treatment and emergencies must be addressed, the need for staff training in First Aid and CPR, medication policies and procedures, nutrition requirements and days and hours of operation.
- COMAR 10.12.04.13 Staff: Staffing patterns are identified in this section, as are staff training requirements and the need for Personnel Policies.
Adult Medical Day Centers that receive Medical Assistance (Medicaid) funding must also adhere to the following regulations:
- COMAR 10.09.07.03 Conditions for Participation and 10.09.07.04: These sections specify the requirements for centers approved as Medical Assistance providers.
- COMAR 10.09.07.04 Staffing Requirements: This section gives detailed information about the qualifications of staff.
- COMAR 10.09.07.05 Covered Services: This section may be of most interest to Medical Assistance participants as it clearly specifies the services a participating center must provide under the Medical Assistance Program.
- COMAR 10.09.07.06 Limitations: This section identifies those persons not eligible for care under the Medical Assistance Medical Day Care Program.
The persons responsible for ensuring compliance with the above regulations are the Licensing Agent and the Medical Day Care Services Coordinator.